These two lists (positive & negative) make a lot of sense to me! http://www.ethicalsystems.org/content/what-ethical-culture-and-isnt
Common-sense list of five attributes:
- A commitment to doing the right thing.
- Clear standards.
- Organizational values put into action (by leaders and employees).
- Open communications up, across and down the organization.
The features an ethical culture lacks:
- Short-term thinking
- Weak employee identification with the company, its customers or its products/services;
- Indices of “moral hazard” (misalignment of incentives and risks), with bad behavior being rewarded where it produces short-term business gains;
- Difficulty in asking questions/raising concerns (not just C&E* ones);
- Marginalization of C&E issues or personnel (and others in control functions);
- A lack of “organizational justice” – meaning a lack of fairness;
- Questionable managerial tone – not only at the top, but also in the “middle” and at the “edges”;
- An unreasonable pressure to perform.
* C&E = cause & effects